Just Keep The Dog

Just Keep The Dog

JKTD News

Thank you to all who support Just Keep The Dog. Our Facebook page currently has 4,118 dog lovers!!! How awesome is that!



Health Problems

Sunday, April 27, 2014

My happy boy needs to get better.
Bruce has been having accidents in our home lately.  And recently over the last few days it's been pretty frequent.  I'd been getting frustrated, wondering why he isn't telling me when he needs to go out.  He's just been urinating in random places at random times.  A couple of days ago I noticed he's been acting more anxious when I take him out.  Last night, I noticed a trail of urine and blood in my bedroom.  I realized he probably has a urinary tract infection (UTI).  So I brought him to the vet's office this morning.

I'd seen UTIs before and they're fairly easy to treat.  Antibiotics for 7-10 days or so and it clears right up.  So although my poor boy was feeling uncomfortable and hurting from a likely UTI, I didn't think too much more of it.  So as directed I dropped him off at the vet's office and awaited the call.

The vet was friendly on the phone, very kind and gentle with her words.  But it was still hard to hear past the shock.  The good news-- no kidney stones showed up on the x-rays.  The bad news?  He has a very high amount of red blood cells and transitional cells, which is consistent in transitional cell carcinoma.  In other words, bladder cancer.  Now, she told me, it doesn't mean he has it.  But it's a good possibility and I have to make sure I follow up with her after a week of antibiotics.  Our hope is that this all turns out to be just a bladder infection and that it clears up with the medication.  If not, we're doing an ultrasound.

How's that for news?  Either my 6 year old dog has a bladder infection.  Or he has cancer.  He's been under my bed all day except if he's outside peeing drips of pain.  He was a good sport taking his medication.  He gave me kisses and looked at me with big puppy eyes.  I can't help but feel afraid.  I'm hoping so much that it's just a bladder infection.

I guess all I can do for now is give him his meds, pray and wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

We're on Dogsey!

Dogsey - for dog news, articles and the worlds largest Dog Forum!

Blogroll

Most Reading